Job offer - Building Inspector
Located in the northeast of New Brunswick, the Chaleur region is home to approximately 36,000 residents, distributed across 3 municipalities and 1 rural district as of January 1, 2023. The region stretches along the beautiful Bay of Chaleur, which is part of the prestigious Club of the Most Beautiful Bays in the World. Here, nature is an integral part of the residents' lives. The Chaleur region is a true paradise for outdoor enthusiasts throughout all four seasons! A variety of activities can be enjoyed in our region, including beaches, golf courses, boat rides, hunting and fishing, ATV or bike trails, hiking trails such as the historic Nepisiguit Mi'gmaq Trail that connects Bathurst to Mount Carleton, the highest peak in the Maritime provinces, and much more. In winter, the Chaleur region is blanketed in white for the delight of snowmobiling, cross-country skiing, snowshoeing, or fat biking enthusiasts.
Under the supervision of the Planning Director, the Building Inspector performs a variety of tasks, such as reviewing construction plans, issuing building permits, inspecting buildings, and enforcing various municipal and provincial bylaws. This role involves working closely with the general public, municipal and provincial employees, and the construction industry. This position requires the use of computers for data entry and report writing.
Summary of Responsibilities:
The building inspector is responsible for the enforcement of building by-laws and regulations, which mainly includes the issuance of building permits and the inspection of work. However, he must also see to the application of the various municipal by-laws and provincial regulations adopted under the Community planning or local governance Act which are under the jurisdiction of the Chaleur RSC and all other tasks as assigned.
Skills and Abilities:
- Leadership, a sense of responsibility, and initiative.
- Interpersonal skills to communicate effectively and demonstrate a calm demeanor in responding to inquiries.
- Ability to initiate, develop, and implement work and projects strategically.
- Ability to interpret plans, specifications, and technical reports.
- Able to work independently and as part of a team.
- Methodical thinking, organizational skills, observation skills, prioritization, and attention to detail.
- Analytical and synthesis skills, logical thinking, and good judgment to solve problems and make informed and independent decisions.
- Excellent understanding of the project management process and the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to work effectively under pressure and adapt quickly to changes and emergencies.
- Demonstrates a positive attitude towards the interests of the municipality and the community in general.
- Must be fluently bilingual (verbal, comprehension, written)
- Hold a college diploma in a related field, e.g., civil engineering technology (CET), building technology, architecture, construction, trades, etc.
- Have a very good knowledge of the National Building Code.
- Be qualified and certified, or in the process of being certified by the New Brunswick Building Officials Association (NBBOA).
- Hold a valid driver's licence in New Brunswick and have a car at his or her disposal. Pay a per diem per km.
Salary: Varies from $67,978 to $74,900 per year depending on qualifications and the current salary scale. The Chaleur Regional Service Commission offers a range of competitive benefits, including clothing, life, medical and dental insurance, and a retirement plan.
Work Schedule: Thirty-five (35) hours per week over five days. This position may involve working outside regular office hours to attend meetings of the regional service commission, municipal councils, planning committees, public meetings, special projects, etc. Overtime hours are compensated with equivalent time off.
Interested individuals should submit a resume and cover letter no later than February 28, 2024, through one of the following methods:
By regular mail, courier, or in person:
Director of Planning Services
Chaleur Regional Service Commission
702 Main Street, Suite 2
Petit-Rocher, NB, E8J 1V1
We thank all applicants for their interest, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted. In this document, masculine or feminine terms are used without discrimination and solely for the purpose of text readability.