Job offer - Urban Planner
Located in northeastern New Brunswick, the Chaleur region has a population of approximately 36,000 people spread out, as of January 1, 2023, in 3 municipalities and 1 rural district. The region borders the magnificent Baie-des-Chaleurs, which is part of the prestigious World's Most Beautiful Bays Club. Here, nature is an integral part of the lives of its inhabitants. The Chaleur region is a true paradise for four-season outdoor enthusiasts! Our region offers a wide range of activities: beaches, golf courses, boating, hunting and fishing, ATV and bicycle trails, hiking trails such as the historic Nepisiguit Mi'gmaq Trail that links Bathurst to Mount Carleton, the highest peak in the Maritime provinces, and so much more. In winter, the Chaleur region is covered in its white coat for the pleasure of snowmobilers, cross-country skiers, snowshoers, and fat bikes.
JOB - URBAN PLANNER
Reporting to the Planning Director, the Planner provides professional support, advice and guidance to municipalities and the Province on all matters related to land use planning and development projects. To this end, the Planner plays an active role in the preparation, development and implementation of a number of planning documents under the New Brunswick Community Planning Act such as rural and municipal plans (including updates and amendments), by-laws, policies and reports.
More specifically, the urban planner will have to manage and follow up on the background for files related to climate change and participate in various committees. He/she will also have to work on the drafting of new by-laws for new municipal entities, such as municipal plans, rural plans, subdivision, and construction by-laws, etc. He/she will also work as a team with the Inspectors and Development Officer on more complex cases requiring the opinion of a planner. Finally, in the absence of the Director, he/she may have to participate in various committees and may approve files related to the issuance of certain construction permits.
- Ability to develop and implement plans, by-laws, policies, and operating procedures in a variety of areas;
- Knowledge of planning and development legislation, trends, etc.;
- Communication and presentation skills including ability to address City Councils, committees on which he/she serves and the public;
- Ability to work on multiple concurrent projects;
- Ability to write professional reports and maintain constructive working relationships with all colleagues, citizens, and stakeholders.
- Bachelor's degree in urban or regional planning, or in a field accredited by the Canadian Institute of Planners;
- Membership in the Canadian Institute of Planners and the New Brunswick Association of Planners, or in the process of becoming a member;
- A minimum of two years’ experience in planning and development;
- Good knowledge of processes, guiding principles and practices related to local and regional planning, urban and rural planning, land use planning, climate change adaptation, project management, research methods and public engagement.
- Ranges from $70,000 to $90,000 per year depending on the current salary range. The Chaleur Regional Service Commission offers a competitive benefits package including life, medical and dental insurance, and a pension plan.
- Thirty-five (35) hours per week over five days. This position may involve working outside of regular office hours to attend regional service commission meetings, city councils, planning committees, public meetings, special projects, etc. Overtime is compensated with equivalent time off.
Individuals interested in the position should submit their resume and cover letter before May 26 as follows:
By regular mail, courier or in person:
- Véronique Proulx - Director of the Planning Department, Chaleur Regional Service Commission, 702 Principale Street, Suite 2, Petit-Rocher, NB, E8J 1V1.
- By email: email@example.com
We thank all applicants for their interest, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted. In this document, the masculine or feminine form is used without discrimination and solely for the purpose of lightening the text.