Household Hazardous Waste (HHW)

Since 2006, we accept household hazardous waste (HHW) from our citizens at the Red Pine solid waste management site. To provide a more accessible service that better meets our citizens’ needs and expectations, in 2008 we began organizing HHW collections in our communities.

Scrap Metal

The Chaleur Regional Service Commission accepts free of charge scrap metal at the Red Pine Solid Waste Management Site . Thereby, our citizens may dispose of their household appliances, barbecues, car wheels, lawnmowers, or other objects made of metal.

Eyeglasses and Clothes

We do not always know what to do with our old pairs of glasses and our worn and old-fashioned clothes. Here are some suggestions to consider before putting them in the trash.

Oil and Glycol

The Chaleur Regional Service Commission participates in the provincial oil and glycol recycling program overseen by Recycle NB. Under this program, our citizens can bring their used oil, oil filters, glycol as well as oil and glycol containers of less than 50 litres.


The Chaleur Regional Service Commission is a recycling depot for tires through the Tire Stewardship Program managed by Recycle NB. With this program, our citizens can bring old tires to the Red Pine Solid Waste Management Site where they will be accepted free of charge. They will be stored at the Red Pine site before they are picked up to be transported at TRACC (Tire Recycling Atlantic Canada Corporation) located in Minto (New Brunswick) where they will be recycled in various products.

Refundable containers

In New Brunswick, all beverage containers have a deposit, except for milk containers. This means that at the purchase of the beverage, a deposit must be paid, part of which will be refunded upon the return of the container to a redemption center.

Ink and toner cartridges

To reduce the amount of ink and toner cartridges that are landfilled, you can first reduce your consumption by only printing the documents that absolutely need to be printed. Once your ink or toner cartridge empty, rather than throwing it in the garbage, you can recover it for recycling.

Medicines and syringes

Avoid putting unused medicines and used syringes in the garbage, in the sink or in the toilet. Many pharmacies accept these products for free. Please check with your pharmacist if they provide this service. If so, feel free to use it; this is the best solution for these items.

Computers and Electronics

It seems that our electronic devices are always being replaced by more compact, more efficient models. When older electronics are not recycled, they end up in the landfill. According to Environment Canada, most types of electronic waste contain toxic substances such as lead, cadmium and mercury. A computer monitor with a cathode ray tube, for instance, can contain as much as 2 to 4 kg of lead as well as phosphate, barium and chromium.


Batteries contain a number of metals as well as other compounds that may end up in the environment if they are not properly disposed of. In an effort to prevent toxic substances such as cadmium, mercury, lead and nickel from entering the environment, the Chaleur Regional Service Commission invites its citizens to deposit their batteries at one of the collection depots so that they can be sent on to a specialist contractor for recycling.


Taking part in the Paint Recycling Program overseen by Recycle NB, the paint recovered during our Household Hazardous Waste collections organized in our communities or recovered at the Red Pine site is used to manufacture the Boomerang paint and the RONA ECO paint.